January 16, 2012

Favorite Appliances

My breakfast, for anyone who doesn't (yet) follow The_Sublime_U on Twitter, is a smoothie, juice or a bowl of chia seeds with something on top.

Everyday is slightly different, so my digestive system doesn't get bored and neither do my taste buds.

My two three very favorite kitchen appliances are my Vitamix, my Oscar Neo juicer and my Excalibur dehydrator. I have a tiny kitchen, but they all have their "spot" in it and are used pretty much daily!
I also own a Breville Juice Fountain Plus. It's so easy and quick to use because you don't have to cut anything up, plus it's affordable, which is why it's the number one selling juicer world-wide...so I alternate between it and the cold press juicer.

Here are my reasons for investing in a juicer for home...
  • A store-bought juice will cost upwards of $8.00. Depending on the number of juices you're making each day/week, the juicer will pay itself off after a couple of months.
  • You know the quality of the fruit and vegetables you're using. A lot of the juice bars use conventional produce. You can use organic or pesticide-free and it'll still cost you less.
  • There will be no ice in your juice...unless you want it there. I've found most juice bars add ice without asking, so I'm not really sure how much of what's in the cup is 100% juice.
  • Things taste better when they're made with LOVE ie homemade.

Here's my today juice



This makes 2 juices. I drink one the day I make it and put the rest in a glass bottle for the following morning, or drink it later in the day.

1 beetroot with leaves
1" ginger
3 small carrots
1/4 lemon - skin removed, but rind left on
1 pear
3 large kale leaves
3" cucumber
1 parsnip

I don't skin anything because a lot of the nutrients of vegetables and fruits are in the skin and core, so I just scrub it all with a vegetable brush and wash the kale well.

Everyone's taste is different and I like my juices to be not very sweet. I also don't use much fruit because it is so laden with sugar. If I add fruit to my juice, it'll usually be an apple or a pear.

N x

2 comments:

  1. The thing that has made me hesitate with getting a juicer (besides having NO bench space) is the reports I've had of how much of a hassle they are to clean. Is your juicer high maintenance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan, years ago, juicers were a PITA to clean, but now, especially the Breville that I spoke about, is a piece of proverbial cake. I hardly used the first juicer I owned because it took longer to clean than to make and drink the end result!!!

    ReplyDelete