February 13, 2013

New Kitchen Appliance

I was given an ice cream maker as an early Birthday present. BEST appliance ever...after my Vitamix and dehydrator (of course!).

Ice cream makers have evolved over the year...thankfully. Mum had one when we were growing up that resembled a large wooden bucket. She had to put ice and salt in one section and the mixture in another. Then spend 100 hours a really long time churning it by hand. My new wiz bang model, which is a Cuisinart, makes scrumptious, ready to eat, frozen desserts in 20 MINUTES.


I've been churning out lots of experiments...so far, so good. It's not difficult because I put all the ingredients in my Vitamix and try it before it goes into the Cuisinart and I can tweak the mixture.

Since I've been pregnant, my appetite has been awful...as in non existent and the thought of eating all my favorite foods - primarily green leafy vegetables, makes me gag!!!


This new appliance is helping me get some form of nutrition into my body. I know, I know, you think it's just ice cream and should be classified as an unhealthy treat, but wait...


I'm going to share a couple of recipes with you...


BLUEBERRY GINGER ICE CREAM


2 cups unsweetened almond milk (I make my own)
1 cup of frozen blueberries
2cm of fresh ginger (or to taste)
1/4 tsp pure vanilla powder (I use Loving Earth), or scrape 1/2 a pod
A couple of tbs of sweetener (agave, maple syrup, coconut syrup) again to taste.
Put all in Vitamix until it's blended then into ice cream maker.


it's really good with fruit




CACAO ALMOND ICE CREAM


1 cup almond milk (I make my own)
3 tbs almond butter (I make my own)
1 banana
2 tbs cacao powder
Everything into the Vitamix til it's smoothie-like then into the ice cream maker

I sprinkled cacao nibs on top for some crunch
Enjoy these and let me know if you have any ice cream recipes of your own you think I should try.

No comments:

Post a Comment